- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Engineering QA
- Industry: Communications Technology
- Post Date: 11/21/2023
- Website: onxmaps.com
- Company Address: 1925 Brooks Street, Missoula, MT, 59801
About onxMapsonX embodies the Montana spirit., with our headquarters in Montana and Basecamp locations (talent centers) throughout the US we are inspired by the landscapes that surround us.
As a pioneer in digital outdoor navigation with a suite of apps, onX was founded in Montana, which in turn has inspired our mission to awaken the adventurer inside everyone. With more than 300 employees located around the country working in largely remote / hybrid roles, we have created regional “Basecamps” to help remote employees find connection and inspiration with other onXers. We bring our outdoor passion to work every day, coupling it with industry-leading technology to craft dynamic outdoor experiences.
Through multiple years of growth, we haven’t lost our entrepreneurial ethos at onX. We offer a fast-paced, growing, tech-forward environment where ownership, accountability, and passion for winning as a team are essential. We value diversity and believe it leads to different perspectives and inspires both new adventures and new growth. As a team, we’re hungry to improve, value innovation, and believe great ideas come from any direction.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
onX is seeking a Quality Assurance Engineer III with a passion for informing and driving quality. As an onX Quality Assurance Engineer, you will be responsible for functional and regression testing of onX products across the iOS, Android, and Web platforms. Also, Quality Assurance Engineers spend around 20% of their time doing test automation. You will drive quality throughout the product development lifecycle. You will be a part of our Connection team that builds features that allow our customers to use onX apps together in their adventures. This is a great opportunity to be a part of a dynamic growing company focused on making an impact on the business, and ensuring that we deliver quality products to our customers. This position reports to a Quality Assurance Manager.
As an onX Quality Assurance Engineer III, your day to day responsibilities would look like:
(Essential Job Duties)
- Empathy and commitment to the customer: Participate in troubleshooting and triaging of issues to find root cause, then drive resolution.
- Be an influencer: Influence and communicate effectively about quality with development teams, designers, managers and non-technical audiences including senior product and business management.
- Be the Customer: Understand onX customers’ current and future use cases.
- Test it: Design, create and execute manual test cases for features and bug fixes.
- Automate it: spend about 20% of your time growing our test automation suites in order to reduce manual regression testing.
- Be Innovative: Continuously learn and apply new QA practices, tools, and technologies. Constantly reassess the value of testing practices and procedures in order to ensure continuous improvement. Identify and evangelize the most scalable, effective and efficient ways to deliver a high-quality product.
- Inform the release decision: Weigh the business needs against risk, listen to the opinions of others, work to gain consensus, and provide risk analysis to ensure the team has the information necessary to determine production readiness.
- Success through teamwork: Work closely with the development team and peers in QA to ensure test coverage across onX products.
onX has created a thriving distributed workforce community across several US locations. This position can only be performed from an onX corporate office, “Basecamp,” or “Talent Cluster.”
- Corporate Offices: onX’s was founded in Montana with offices in Missoula and Bozeman. If you prefer to work in an office at least part of the time this is a great option.
- Basecamps: onX’s Basecamps are established virtual workforce communities where a sizable number of distributed team members group for work, volunteering, socializing, and adventure.
- Our current Basecamps are located within a 90-mile radius of the following: Austin, TX; Charlotte, NC; Denver, CO; Minneapolis, MN; Portland, OR; Salt Lake City, UT; and Seattle, WA.
- Talent Clusters: onX’s Talent Cluster locations are smaller, emerging communities of distributed team members.
- Our current Talent Clusters are located within a 60-mile radius of the following: Boise, ID; Charleston, SC; Dallas/Fort Worth, TX; Phoenix, AZ; Richmond, VA; Spokane, WA; and Vermont.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Four (4) or more years Quality Assurance experience, preferably in an agile environment
- Strong CS fundamentals such as algorithms, data structures, and design patterns
- Proven ability to develop and execute automated and manual test cases
- Experience with the following:
- At least one issue tracking system, JIRA preferred
- At least one CI/CD system (CircleCI, Jenkins, etc)
- At least one mobile development environment (Xcode or Android Studio)
- Demonstrated ability to drive change and find solutions to accomplish QA's strategic direction and successfully reach critical milestones
- Ability to effectively balance a development team’s short- and long-term quality needs
- Ability to find solutions for unstructured problems with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills to communicate issues with stakeholders and internal development team members
- Passion for quality and dedication to customers
- A shared passion for and ability to demonstrate onX’s Company Values
- Permanent US work authorization is a condition of employment with onX
Though not required, we would be thrilled to consider candidates with any of the following:
- Development experience
- Experience with Charles, MITM Proxy
- Experience with build systems (Fastlane, Maven, Gradle, etc.)
- API testing experience
onX is committed to compensating all employees fairly and equitably for their contributions. For this position, applicants can expect to make between $85,000 to $100,000 upon hire. The pay range will vary based on experience, skills, certifications, and education among other factors as required in the job description. In addition, full-time onX employees are eligible for a grant of common share options with a vesting schedule and a potential annual bonus of 10% based on company performance.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING YOU
- Competitive salaries, annual bonuses, equity, and opportunities for growth
- Comprehensive health benefits including a no-monthly-cost medical plan
- Parental leave plan of 5 or 13 weeks fully paid
- 401k matching at 100% for the first 3% you save and 50% from 3-5%
- Company-wide outdoor adventures and amazing outdoor industry perks
- Annual “Get Out, Get Active” funds to fuel your active lifestyle in and outside of the gym
- Flexible time away package that includes PTO, STO, VTO, quiet weeks, and floating holidays
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
The following physical requirements represent those that are required to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting - [90%]
- Standing - [0%]
- Walking - [10%]
- Bending - [Occasionally]
- Kneeling - [Some]
- Lifting - [Up to 25 pounds]
- Reaching - [Regularly]
- Telephone Use - [Yes]
- Computer Use/Manual Dexterity - Yes
- Travel - Depends on location; remote employees typically travel to Montana twice per year.
onX COMPANY VALUES
Our principles guide the decisions making of our company. They define the culture at onX, what we have learned through experience and are the code by which we operate. They are fundamental, enduring and actionable–a benchmark by which we measure the team behavior and performance.
We put the customer first.
We are passionate.
We win as a team.
We take ownership.
We work with urgency.
We are curious and seek the truth.
We innovate & take risks.
Position open until filled.
At onX, we believe that diversity makes us better. Bringing together a diverse set of backgrounds, ideas, and opinions helps us to achieve our mission to awaken the adventurer in everyone. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. onX is committed to equal opportunity not only in our hiring practices but also in our employment practices, including but not limited to development, compensation, and promotion. We strive to build an inclusive work community where everyone can be their authentic self, and together, we win as a team. Come join us!
onX is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation, please contact us at email@example.com.