Acacia Communications is an optical networking technology company that empowers cloud and content providers to connect at the speed of light enabling them to meet the rapidly increasing consumer demands for data.
This position is responsible for the planning and execution of reliability testing and qualification of all Acacia products and publishing reports for the same. You will be involved in product design review, design verification testing and failure analysis. You will work closely with design engineering teams designing the next generation of optical transceiver products.
You will use your knowledge and experience in Optics design, manufacturing, testing, and reliability to evaluate new product designs for potential failure modes, work closely with Design and Process Development teams, and implement proactive reliability improvements to ensure product reliability is built in. You will use reliability methods to build reliability models and simulations, design DOEs, and conduct stress tests to evaluate the reliability performance of these designs. You will incorporate industry knowledge, reliability simulations, lessons learned, and preventive reliability methods and will also be responsible for the qualification of the optical sub-assemblies and optical transceiver modules.
You will closely work with design engineering and Manufacturing in component/vendor selection and qualification, focusing mainly on the components’ reliability and vendor manufacturing process audit. You will lead the failure analysis and work with the component vendors on the necessary preventive actions. Occasional support is required for customer audits and meetings with Acacia customers to address quality and reliability related questions.
Key Essential Functions
- Evaluate new product designs for potential failure modes
- Implement proactive reliability improvements to ensure product reliability is built in
- Build reliability models and simulations, design DOEs, and conduct stress tests to evaluate the reliability performance of these designs
- Qualify optical sub-assemblies and optical transceiver modules
- Participate in component/vendor selection and qualification
- Lead failure analysis efforts and work with component vendor on preventive actions
- Provide occasional support for customer audits and meetings on quality and reliability
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in optical/electronic engineering, physics, materials science, or the equivalent qualification in training and experience
- At least 8 years of professional experience in quality and reliability engineering for optical communications components and systems
- Knowledge of DFMEA (Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis) and DFR (Design for Reliability)
- Experience with accelerated lifetime testing including HTOL and reliability modeling
- Experience with qualification testing including damp heat, thermal cycling, mechanical shock and vibration, ESD, fiber integrity
- Experience with Design for Reliability and Physics of Failure Analysis techniques and models
- Experience leading failure analysis internally or with external suppliers
- Knowledge of Telcordia and JEDEC qualification and reliability standards related to module assemblies and associated components, e.g. die, passives optical components, capacitors, diodes
- Knowledge of physical and electrical characterization techniques
- Materials experience and expertise including fiber optics and photonic components, adhesives, ceramics, fibers, metals, fatigue
- Process experience and expertise including photonic and electronic packaging, die bonding, wire bonding, welding, evaporation, corrosion control
- Experience in optical component technologies, interconnect quality requirements and reliability test methodologies
- Master’s degree in a relevant field preferred
- Silicon Photonics packaging or reliability assessment experience is a plus
- Hands-on experience with optical transport systems, high-speed ASICs, PCBA's, mechanical assemblies, and optical component design desirable
- Ability to perform supplier audits as needed
- Great communication skills across organizations, and with vendors and customers
Special Physical/Travel Requirements
- Occasional travel as needed
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.