AVAST Software (www.avast.com), maker of the world's most popular antivirus, protects over 400 million computers and mobile devices with our security applications. In business for 30 years, AVAST is one of the oldest companies in the computer security business, with a portfolio covering everything from free antivirus for PC, Mac, and Android, to premium suites and services for business – offered in about 40 languages.
Headquartered in Prague, Czech Republic, with offices in the U.S., Europe, and Asia, AVAST Software employs some of the brightest new talent in the IT industry, from around 30 different nations.
We are looking for a systems administrator and systems engineer with deep knowledge of networks and principles of operating systems. We require knowledge of some scripting language (preferably Python) and ability to provide problem solutions which scale to hundreds of servers. We are closely cooperating with Java developers on developing high performance server applications that are tied to OS and network resources running on globally distributed server clusters.
Your responsibilities will range from keeping millions of TCP sessions on one server, geo-load balancing hundreds of thousand queries per cluster, managing databases with terabytes of data, toidentifying encrypted bit torrent traffic in TCP streams. We offer international traveling, flexible work environment and space for self-education.
The team is responsible for infrastructure from the initial server installation, network and storage configuration to HA design, application specific settings and monitoring. You will definitely not be bored!
- Maintenance of a Linux-based computing farm from OS to application level consisting of 100s of servers
- Troubleshooting of performance problems (especially ones that are hard to Google)
- Close cooperation with developers during both application development and its operation
- Writing scripts for automation and monitoring purposes
- Deep understanding of Linux OS (CentOS preferred)
- Knowledge of TCP/IP protocols including HTTP and DNS
- Good knowledge of Shell scripting + basic knowledge of other scripting language (Python preferred)
- Basic knowledge of SQL databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL) or NoSQL databases (Cassandra)
- Desire to learn new technologies and to solve various technical challenges
- Ability to cope with ever changing environment
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Spoken and written English
- Experience with CM tools (eg. Puppet, Ansible), virtualization (Xen, KVM) is a plus
- The minimum for this position is completed secondary education. A University degree in a technical area is a plus.
- Basic understanding of Atlassian Jira, Git
- Good understanding of network routing and VPN
- Experience with OpenVPN and IPSec is a plus
- Great benefits: food and drink provided all day by the company, game room, pool tables, table tennis, music studio, fitness center, library, great training system and much more
- Flexible working hours, home office
- Cafeteria benefit system, multisport card
- 25 days of holiday, 5 sick days
- The chance to join a major global tech company
- Many opportunities for professional growth
- An amazing and truly international work environment
Sounds like fun? We look forward to hearing from you!