Holmdel, NJ, US / San Jose, CA, US / Ottawa, CA / Maynard, MA, US
Acacia Communications is an optical networking technology company that empowers cloud and content providers to connect at the speed of light enabling them to meet the rapidly increasing consumer demands for data.
Acacia Communications, a leader in disruptive optical and coherent technology, is looking for an optical assembly process development engineer with expertise in low-cost and high-volume optical manufacturing processes of high performance transceiver. Experience with silicon photonics optical elements and interacting with contract manufacturers is a plus. This person will take a leadership role as part of a fast-moving team. It is expected that this function will typically own the process development and influence the equipment selection and optimization for all necessary optical assembly steps. Focus on suitability for very high volume manufacturing and scalability as well as mechanical reliability is a requirement. Experience with highly automated assembly processes in optical transceivers or similar products is highly desirable if not essential. Especially, previous experience with very low cost single mode fiber optical packaging for example in 100GE CWDM4 or PON networks is highly preferred.
- Technical ownership of optical transceiver assembly process development, especially silicon photonics optical coupling and free space optics assembly with modern manufacturing methods
- Key deliverable is a very high volume, highly automated and economical manufacturing process solution, that meets performance and cost requirements while being highly scalable and reliable
- Responsible for proposal and planning of process optimization for optical assembly processes as well as carrying out the necessary experiments and analysis of the results to optimize process throughput, process windows and yield. Managing the handoff to operations and transfer documentation for introduction at a contract manufacturer
- Active ownership of performance and overall cost of manufacturing solution
- Depending on necessity, design of custom solutions for mechanical assembly automation and its software and electronic hardware integration. Fixturing and other mechanicals design.
- Collaborate with design, test and reliability engineers to optimize product testability, manufacturability, and quality
Minimum Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications:
- Master’s degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Sciences, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or equivalent
- 8+ years of experience in transceiver optical assembly processes or similar free space and optical fiber based assemblies and manufacturing solutions. Custom assembly equipment design capability highly desirable (hardware, electronics and software integration experience)
- Familiarity with operating principles of photonic devices used in coherent communications is a plus
- Experience with leading multi-disciplinary team in a fast-pace and collaborative environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.