Acacia Communications is an optical networking technology company that empowers cloud and content providers to connect at the speed of light enabling them to meet the rapidly increasing consumer demands for data.
Acacia Communications, a leader in disruptive optical and coherent technology, is looking for an IC packaging development engineer with expertise in design and processing of very high speed IC packages and the necessary chip design. This person will take a technical leadership role as part of a fast-moving team. It is expected that this function will typically own the process development and design of custom flip chip assemblies for both electrical and optical components, including influencing the equipment selection and optimization of all necessary assembly steps. Focus on suitability for very high volume manufacturing and scalability as well as mechanical reliability is a requirement.
Key Essential Functions
- Technical ownership of design and process of custom multi chip, flip chip assemblies, especially silicon photonics and high speed electrical ICs with modern manufacturing methods.
- Key deliverable is a very high volume, highly automated and economical manufacturing process solution that meets performance and cost requirements while being highly scalable and reliable.
- In addition to design input, responsible for proposal and planning of process optimization for flip chip assembly processes as well as carrying out the necessary experiments in house and at contract manufacturers.
- Analyze of the experiment results to optimize process throughput, process windows, yield and reliability.
- Manage the hand-off to operations and transfer documentation for introduction at a contract manufacturer
- Active ownership of performance and overall cost of manufacturing solution
- Depending on necessity, aid in the design of custom solutions for assembly automation, fixturing etc.
- Collaborate with design, test and reliability engineers to optimize product testability, manufacturability, and quality
- Perform other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications
- Master’s Degree (or higher) in mechanical engineering, materials sciences, chemistry, electrical engineering, or physics, or the equivalent qualification in training and experience
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience, including extensive experience in design and or processing of multi-chip, flip-chip assemblies or IC packaging and its manufacturing solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with the use of Cu-pillar technology with various die and substrate types is highly desirable.
- Experience with silicon photonics optical elements and interacting with contract manufacturers is a definite plus.
- Experience with highly automated assembly processes in optical transceivers or similar products is highly desirable.
- Custom assembly equipment design capability is desirable.
- Familiarity with operating principles of photonic devices used in coherent communications is a plus.
Special Physical/Travel Requirements
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.