Acacia Communications is an optical networking technology company that empowers cloud and content providers to connect at the speed of light enabling them to meet the rapidly increasing consumer demands for data.
Acacia Communications, a leader in disruptive optical and coherent technology, is looking for a Principal Photonic Engineer with a strong track record of innovation and successful demonstration in photonic integrated devices and related subsystems. This person must have a deep knowledge of optical physics in devices and the use of them in subsystems and systems. This includes knowledge of optical waveguides, modulators, photodetectors, optical amplifiers, and control loops. This person must desire to make practical devices with solid engineering yet make break-throughs that alter industry. This person must be able to both create and drive projects as well as spend time in the lab doing detailed work. Fabrication process knowledge of photonic integrated circuits is extremely important as well.
Key Essential Functions
- Innovate and drive complex projects in photonic integrated circuits
- Develop new integration platforms and processes
- Pull together cross-function teams
- Design layouts of complex photonic integrated circuits
- Interface with PIC foundries
- Function at a high level in the lab, including testing PICs, running communication experiments, and debugging electronics
Essential Qualifications, Experience, Skills, Education and Certifications
- PhD degree in engineering or physics, material science or the equivalent qualification in education and experience.
- Deep understanding of the physics of silicon photonics
- Deep knowledge of optical diverse filters and electronic materials
- Solid understanding of the fabrication process of photonic integration
- Extensive experience with PIC design, having done multiple tape-outs
- Knowledgeable in both simulating and testing PICs in the lab
- Proficient in computer programming languages such as C, MATLAB, and Python
- Experience with optical transceivers, especially coherent transceivers
- Involved with products that ship more than 10,000 per year
- Experience with silicon and InP photonic devices
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.